Friday, March 13, 2009

Aidan Update


I am writing for my sister since she won't have computer access until this evening or possibly tomorrow. She wanted to make sure that everyone was updated on Aidan's progress, so I am hacking her blog until she can take over. So any incorrect medical information that might happen would be totally on me. I try to pay attention, but you know, lots of big words... Thanks! Candy

Aidan was wheeled into surgery at around 12:45. The surgery is expected to last at least three hours and then he'll rest in post op until around 5:00 or 5:30 p.m. Christy told me that Aidan was so cute when they first gave him the drugs to relax him, laughing slowly and at everything. The hospital staff has been wonderful and they've made every step as comfortable for Aidan as possible. He was allowed to eat this morning until 6 a.m., drink up until 9 a.m. He didn't have to come into the hospital until 11 p.m. and everything started at that point. He didn't get the IV until after he was comfortably drugged even. So all in all, as pleasant an experience as can be hoped for.

Aidan is having a Pemberton procedure where they will be building up the anterior shelf of his hip bone. There. That sounded like I totally knew what I was talking about, didn't it? Here is a link that is sort of hard to read and full of more information than I personally can absorb, but it is interesting and Google told me it applied to this situation.

There is the possibility that both of his legs might not be casted. Christy isn't sure, but one of the nurses implied that he might just have his right leg fully casted and the other partially. This will be much more comfortable and cooler if it is the case. And in other good news - there is a Starbucks right down the hall from where Christy and David are waiting. Nothing like mixing caffeine and adrenaline. But actually it sounds like the hospital is a very good place with a wonderful cafeteria, and yes, places like Starbucks. All of these things making it more tolerable. Christy and David sound really good. I imagine the time will start to really drag here soon, though. That is a long time for your baby to be in surgery.

Christy and David truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers right now. Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and kind during this crazy time. I will be sure to post again when I get the next update.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet baby! Thank you, Candy!
    Mom (Cheri)

    ReplyDelete